(navigation image)
Home American Libraries | Canadian Libraries | Universal Library | Community Texts | Project Gutenberg | Children's Library | Biodiversity Heritage Library | Additional Collections
Search: Advanced Search
Anonymous User (login or join us)
Upload
See other formats

Full text of "Chicago beautiful, parks and boulevards"

Chicago 
Beautiful 



F 548 
.65 

.fil P83 
Copy 1 



Parks and 
Boulevards 



/''T'^- E 



Lz! 



f3 




hicago is justly proud o£ her 
1^ # system of parks and boule- 
V>< 1 k yards. The park system of 
over 5,000 acres, embraces 
60 parks, 90 playgrounds, 
and 3 public bathing beaches. It would 
take several days to visit all these parks 
and playgrounds, but the trip herein 
described (which can be made by auto- 
mobile in a few hours) takes one 
through the most important parks and 
boulevards. It gives an idea of what 
Chicago is doing to provide places of 
rest and recreation for its cosmopolitan 
population — the interest taken in the 
welfare of the children and of a higher 
citizenship. 



Copyrighted 1915 

By Charles H. Porter 

223 W. Jackson Blvd. 

Chicago 



^'^'^401654 



Jt/;V 2t 






Automobile Trip 

Through Chicago's Parks and 
Boulevard System 

This little book describes a trip around the city 
via our boulevard and park system, startinj^; from 
the Auditorium Hotel on Michigan Boulevard. 




Annex 



Congress 



Auditorium 



Michigan Boulevard — originally an Indian trail 
— is considered one of the finest boulevards in the 
world. It is about 6 miles long. 

On the left is Grant Park which is in process 
of construction. Chicago has long needed a breath- 
ing space in the downtown district and Grant Park 
has been reserved for this purpose. 

3 



We pass a number of large structures facing the 
lake and for this reason very desirable for hotel 
and office buildings. 

The tall red building with white trimmings at 
7th St. is the Blackstone — one of our most luxu- 
rious hotels. This was the first building in Chi- 
cago on the roof of which a landing place for 
aeroplanes was provided. 

At Number 816 is the home offices of the Ameri- 
can Radiator Company. 

At Number 830 is the Building of the Young 
IVomens Christian Association which provides tem- 
porary quarters for young women seeking employ- 
ment in the city. 

The equestrian statue on the left was erected 
to commemorate the memory of a favorite son of 
Illinois, General John A. Logan. It was designed 
by August St. Gaudens. 

At the end of the Park is the Illinois Central 
R. R. station for through trains. The s 'burban 
trains pass through Grant Park but are below the 
surface and hardly noticeable. 

To the left of the Illinois Central Station the 
park is being extended to provide for the new 
building of the Field Museum, for which $8,000.- 
000 was left in the will of the late Marshall Field. 

A new park is being constructed of made ground 
which will extend between Grant Park and Jack- 
son Park — a distance of several miles along the 
shore of the lake. 

Michigan Boulevard below 12th St., out as far 
south as 33rd St., is known as Automobile Row. 

4 



This WAS formerly a residence district but has been 
supplanted within the last ten or fifteen years by 
dealers in automobiles and accessories. 

The large red building on the left in the form 
of a U. is St. Luke's — one of our finest hospitals. 

Just beyond the viaduct on the right is the First 
Regiment Armory. 

One block West on Wabash Av. is the Coli- 
seum, seating 14,000 people. Many Presidential 
candidates have been nominated in this building. 

Beyond 16th St. and two blocks to the left is 
Prairie Av. This at one time was considered the 
choicest residence district of Chicago and contained 
the homes of many of our most wealthy citizens. 
At 18th St. and Prairie Av. is the residence of 
Mrs. Geo. M. Pullman, whose husband w^as the 
inventor of the sleeping car bearing his name. 

Just east of the Pullman residence is a monu- 
ment erected by the Chicago Historic Society com- 
memorating the Fort Dearborn Massacre. The 
garrison of the Fort started south along the lake 
and at this spot was practically annihilated by In- 
dians. 

At 22nd St. is the Lexington and at 23 St. the 
Metropole, both apartment hotels. 

On the wTst corner of 24th St. is the Standard 
Club, erected by wealthy Jewish manufacturers and 
merchants. 

The stone building at the left w^as formerly the 
headquarters of Dr. Doivie, founder of Zion City. 

5 




Residence H. N. Higginbothara 

On the corner of 29th St., — No. 2838 — is the 
residence erected by H. N. Higginbothain, partner 
of Marshall Field and President of the World's 
Fair. 

At 30th St. is the Lakota Hotel on the left and 
the Bradford Hotel on the right. 

At 3254 is the home of John Cudahy, the meat 
packer. 

We turn east at 33rd St., passing by a large 
Jewish Synagogue at 33rd and Indiana Av. Then 
south on South Park Av. to the fountain guarding 
the entrance to Grand Boulevard, one of the widest 
in Chicago, w^ith a parkway on both sides of the 
main drive. It is 198 feet from curb to curb. 

Many of the apartments along this boulevard 
have been built within the last few years and are 

6 



typical of thousands of such buildings throughout 
Chicago. 

At No. 3612 — the house with the cone shap(?d 
tower — is the residerxe of the well-known Rabbi 
Hirsch. 

We turn east on Oakivood Boulevard at 40th St. 

As an illustration of the rapid growth of Chicago, 
just prior to the civil war, a magnificent stone resi- 
dence was built at the corner of Grand Blvd. and 
43rd St. — 3 blocks south of us. It was at that 
time called "Story's Folly" because it was built so 
far from the residence part of the city. The citi- 
zens at that time could not imagine that the city 
would ever extend out to this point. 




Abraham Lincoln Centre 

7 



On the north side of this street several blocks 
beyond the turn the large red brick six-story build- 
ing is the Abraham Lincoln Centre, founded by 
Jenkin Lloyd Jones. This is one of twenty-five 
similar institutions that seek to provide a higher 
civic and social life for the people. 




Drexel Boulevard 

Passing Cottage Grove Av., we enter Drexel 
Boulevard, which extends a mile and a half south 
to the northeast corner of Washington Park. 

This boulevard is noted for its beautiful flowers 
and shrubbery. 

The white stone building on the left is the 
First Christian Science Church. 

Some of our wealthiest men have their residences 
along Drexel Blvd. 

8 



At 4750 is the residence of John McCormick. 

The red brick house with the iron fence, at 4800, 
is the home of the Morris family, meat packers. 

The large white stone house with iron fence 
and gardens at 4830 is the home of Mrs. Chauncey 
J. Blair. 

Oppcsite this is the home of Martin A. Ryerson. 

At Drexel Square we turn east at the fountain 
onto Hyde Park Blvd., passing the Hyde Park Ho- 
tel and beyond the viaduct the Chicago Beach Hotel. 
At the end of this street w^e turn on East End 
Avenue and enter Jackson Park. 

The large building rapidly falling into decay 
was the Fine Arts Building at the World's Co- 
lumbian Exposition and has since been occupied by 
the Field Museum of Natural History. At the 
time of the Fair this was considered one of the 
most beautiful structures of the w^hole exposition 
group. The building covers nine acres and is of 
brick and steel covered with stucco. The exhibits 
in this building attract students from all parts of 
the world. When moved to the new building at 
the foot of Grant Park, this museum will prove 
of great educational value to many who are not 
now able to avail themselves of its advantages. 

The low one stor}' stone building at the left was 
the Iowa Building at the World's Fair and is now 
used as a rest room. 

Directly ahead, the tall building with the tower 
is the German Building erected by the German 
Government during the World's Fair and now used 
as a refectory. 

9 




•"^•■^jLL-^-i 



^'^'iw^ 



Iowa Building 

On hot summer days the beach here has been 
described as a second Atlantic City, with thousands 
of bathers playing in the water and along the shore. 

Just beyond the motor boat entrance to the la- 
goon is a 9 hole golf course on the right. 

You will also notice a bridle path at the right 
which is for the exclusive use of equestrians. Many 
residents of the South side take their morning exer- 
cise under the trees along this path. 

The drive here affords a magnificent view of 
Lake Michigan and at night the sky to the South 
is lit up from the glare of the rolling mills at 
South Chicago. 

The building ahead of us and across the small 
harbor entrance is a reproduction of the LaRabida 
Convent in Spain. It was at this convent that 
Columbus stopped over night when he was return- 
ing, a discouraged and defeated enthusiast, from 
the court of Queen Isabella. It was here that 

10 




La Rabida Convent — Jackson Park 



Queen Isabella's messenger overtook him and called 
him back to the Court. It is now used during the 
summer months as a fresh air sanitarium for sick 
babies. 

The long pier running out into the lake was 
a moving sidewalk at the time of the World's 
Fair. 

Another reminder of Columbus are the small 
caravels: Pinta and Nina, reproductions of the 
boats Columbus used in discovering the new world. 
A third caravel, the Santa Maria, was to have been 
exhibited at the Exposition in San Francisco but 
succeeded in getting only as far as Erie, Pa. 

The Government maintains a life saving station 
on the lagoon. 

After parsing over the bridge we approach the 

11 



largest of Chicago's public golf courses. Often times 
as many as 1,000 people play over this course in 
one day. There are also 40 tennis .courts main- 
tained for public use. 

Over to the South are located the buildings of 
the South Shore Country Club. 

The tall flag pole before the golf club house on 
the left, as we follow the lagoon, is a relic of the 
Exposition. Down through this section ran the 
famous Court of Honor. 

Beyond the golf course, and reached by a bridge 
over the lagoon, is the Wooded Island. Upon this 
island are many things of interest. Here will be 
seen the beautiful Japanese Buildings, erected by na- 
tive artisans from Japan at the time of the World's 
Fair. 

On this island is also the famous rose garden that, 
when in full bloom during the summer months, is 
a sight worth going far to see. 




Cahokia Court House 

12 



There is a'so on this island Cahokia Court House 
that Wcis built in 1716 at Cahokia, 111, and moved 
to Chicao;o in 1905. As a young lawyer, Abraham 
Lincoln argued cases in this court house. The 
building is worth examining as an example of 
pioneer architecture. It is constructed of square 
walnut logs held together w^'th wooden pins. With- 
in are original documents pertaining to its inter- 
esting history. This quaint old structure is alive 
w^ith interest to any one concerned with historic 
subjects. 

Through the trees as wx go north you wn'll see 
in the distance the beautiful bridges built by the 
Japanese. 




Japanese Bridge — Jackson Park 

13 



In the distance as we turn you get another view 
of the Field Museum. 

Passing out of Jackson Park we get into the 
Midway Plaisance, which will be remembered by 
those who attended the World's Fair as the place 
where the amusement concessions wTre located. In 
winter the sunken gardens are flooded with water 
and furnish sport for skaters. 

Practically all of the land on both sides of the 
Midway is owmed by the Univosity of Chicago 
whose buildings appear on the right. This institu- 
tion is one of America's largest universities. It has 
been endowed by John D. Rockefeller and other 
prominent men with many millions of dollars. The 
buildings are all of the Gothic style of architecture, 
built of blue Bedford limestone. 




.,.-,-.s''ift>-s'4 



Womans Dormitories — University of Chicago 
Kelly — Beecher and Foster Halls 

14 



As we come to the last of the University Build- 
ings you will notice a low building on the left side 
of driveway with a number of statues around it. 
This is the residence and studio of Lorado Taft, 
the sculptor. 

Midway Gardens is at the end of the Midway 
and at the entrance to Washington Park. 

Entering Washington Park, we see on the right 
the place where the Archery Club holds its annual 
contests and on the left the lagoon where fishermen 
practice at fly casting. 




Administration Building — Washington Park 



Near the smokestack are the Park stables and 
just beyond, where the Pergola faces the road, is the 
Administration building of the South Park Com- 
missioners. 

15 



To the right is the conservatory filled with flow- 
ers and plants from all over the world. 

Both Jackson and Washington Parks were orig- 
inally barren, sandy, level land. All the hills and 
lagoons were artificially made and the present beau- 
tiful appearance of these parks is a tribute to the 
skill of the landscape gardener. 

Just beyond the Refectory we go west into Gar- 
field Boulevard, which we follow for several miles. 

The large red brick building on the right is the 
James C. King home for aged men. Mr. King, 
who died in 1905, left by will a large amount of 
money as an endowment fund for this unique insti- 
tution. By paying $500.00 any man of good char- 
acter over 68 years of age, and who has resided in 
Cook County the previous ten years, may be admit- 
ted and is taken care of for the rest of his life. The 
place is luxuriously furnished, the meals are equal 
to those served in a first-class hotel, and makes an 
ideal home for lawyers, judges, teachers, business 
men and others who are tired of the city's strenuous 
life. 

We then enter and circle through Sherman Park, 
a breathing space of 60 acres that has outdoor gym- 
nasiums and playgrounds, swimming and wading 
pools — assembly halls and club rooms, all designed 
to improve the health, morals and mental culture 
of the children living nearby. Chicago has scores 
of parks similar to this and nearly a hundred smaller 
parks which are of inestimable benefit to the popu- 
lation living in the congested portions of our city. 

Gage Park is at the intersection of Garfield 

16 



Boulevard and Western Avenue Boulevard where 
we turn North. 

About a mile north of Gage Park and two miles 
east of the boulevard are located the Sfock Yards, 
500 acres and Packing Toivtij 200 acres. Chi- 
cago is the greatest live stock market in the world. 
The Yards have accommodations for 75,000 cattle, 
300,000 hogs and 125,000 sheep. Over one mil- 
lion dollars is paid b}^ the packers for live stock 
in this market every day. In addition to the im- 
mense packing houses, the scientific utilization of 
every part of an animal has developed hundreds of 
industries using the by-products and locnted near 
this section. Over 60,000 people are employed in 
this district and the manufactured products amount 
to half a billion dollars per year. Visitors from 
all parts of the world have gone through the Stock 
Yards and the leading packing houses employ guides 
to conduct parties through their plants. 

Just after passing under the second railroad via- 
duct we come to McKinley Park. This park con- 
tains swimming pool, children's play grounds, out- 
door gymnasiums for men and women, tennis 
courts, ball field, sand courts, wading pools, etc. 
These small parks are very much appreciated by 
Chicago people. Our present Mayor, Wm. Hale 
Thompson was very active w^hile alderman in se- 
curing play grounds for the children. He believes 
that unless the children of the poor are provided 
with means for healthy exercise we will see a ph}^- 
ical deterioration in the race, such as has been ex- 
perienced in the industrial cities of Europe. 

17 



Going up a little rise we pass over the old Illi- 
nois and Michigan Canal, now fallen into disuse. 
After passing under the viaduct of the Santa Fe 
Railroad we cross the Drainage Canal. This was 
built at an expense of over $66,000,000 and is con- 
sidered one of the most wonderful engineering feats 
ever accomplished. The current of the Chicago 
River was reversed. Instead of the water of the 
river flowing into Lake Michigan and thence via 
the chain of great lakes into the Atlantic Ocean, 
it now flows into the Drainage Canal thence via 
the Desplaines, Illinois and Mississippi Rivers to 
the Gulf of Mexico. The canal extends 36 miles 
to Lockport where is located the power plant that 
furnishes current for nearly 20,0C0 arc lights for the 
city parks and boulevards. The Drainage Caral 
is part of the Lakes to the Gulf Water Way and 
has a depth of 24 feet, and even wdien cut through 
solid rock the width is at least 164 feet, affording 
easy passageway for vessels in each direction. 

The works of the International Harvester Co. 
are passed at the turn west and just beyond is one 
of the Public Gardens. Here poor people are allot- 
ted ground on which they can raise potatoes, vege- 
tables and all kinds of garden truck. Many are 
able in this way to reduce the high cost of living 
and it is surprising the amount of produce some of 
these gardeners are able to raise on these small 
tracts of land. Chicago has done a great deal of 
this kind of work and her example might well be 
followed by other cities. 

18 




Children's Garden — Eckart Park 



At a number of the small parks Children's 
Gardens have been provided ; there each child is 
given a small plot of ground, and furnished with 
seeds, from which they can raise all kinds of 
flowers. The little florists give most careful at- 
tention to these tiny gardens — keeping them 
watered and free from weeds. This teaches the 
children the wonders of nature, besides developing 
their sense of the beautiful and artistic. Unfortu- 
nately, on this trip we do not pa.^s any of the Chil- 

19 



dren's Gardens, but the picture taken In Eckhart 
Park gives an idea of their appearance. 

At the turn north, is the House of Correction 
known as the Bridewell, a city prison for idle or 
disorderly persons over 16 years of age. Adjoining 
is the John Worthy School for unruly boys under 
16. To the right are the great works of the 
Kimball Piano Co. 

The large, low yellow brick building at one of 
the turns along this boulevard, is the Carter Har- 
rison Technical High School, one of the most mod- 
ern of Chicago's schools. 




Karel Havlicek — Douglas Park 

Just beyond the viaduct of the elevated railway 
we enter Douglas Park, 182 acres. Near the cen- 
ter of the park is the monument dedicated by the 
Bohemians to the State of Illinois, in honor of their 

20 



martyred statesman, Karel Ha-vUcek. The natatorl- 
um in this park is unusually large and provides a 
swimming place for thousands of men, women and 
children. Garden Hall connects the Rose Garden 
with the Perennial Garden beyond. 

Douglas Boulevard extends west from the park 
to Independence Square, where is located the beau- 
tiful bronze and granite fountain dedicated to 
American Youth and Independence Day. Turning 
north we follow Independence Boulevard past rows 
of comfortable homes. 




Garden Hall — Douglas Park 

Off to the right along this bouelvard is seen the 
plant of Sears Roebuck Co., the large Mail Order 
House. 

21 



At the end of the boulevard we enter Garfield 
Park, one hundred and eighty-eight acres. Passing 
by the golf grounds, and just north of the large 
ba-^d-stand are the Foj-mal Gardens. Here are em- 
blems, designs, names, etc., formed by thousands 
of varicolored growing plants. North of Madison 
Street are the beautiful ivater courts — a very unique 
feature in park ornamentation. Beyond the bronze 
statute of Robert Burns is Assembly Hall. This is 
used for social gatherings, dances, lectures, celebra- 
tions, etc. Like all buildings in the Chicago Park 
System no charge of -any kind is permitted for its 
use. Winding around the lagoon and passing un- 




Show House — Conservatory — ^Garfield Park 

22 



der the tracks of the elevr.ted we come to Garfield 
Park Conservatory, ore of the largest of its kind 
in the world. Now^here else has an attempt been 
m.ade to build green houses for the exhibition of 
exotic plants in a public park on such a large scale. 
The exhibits of palm.s and rare varieties of trees 
and tropical plants are intensely interesting. In the 
Fsll when the show houses are filled with every 




Idyl and Pastoral — Garfield Park Conservatory 
By Lorado Taft 



variety of chrysanthemums, people flock to the con- 
servatory from all parts of the cit\'. Over 30,000 
visitors have viewed the exhibit in a single day. In- 
side the conservatory are two charming little mar- 

23 



ble groups by Lorado Taft representing Idyl and 
P^istoral. There are a number of fine statutes in 
Garfield Park, including a bronze of Lincoln, the 
Rail-Splitter, erected in 1911. Garfield Park con- 
nects with the downtown loop district by West 
Washington and West Jackson Boulevards. 




Humboldt Park Rose Garden 

Leaving the park v'a Franklin Boulevard and 
Sacramento Boulevard we approach Humbolt Park. 

To the left just at the entrance is one of the 
city playgrounds. There are many similar to 
this scattered over the city, generally located in the 
most congested residence districts. Humboldt Park 
is the largest of West Side Parks and considered 
by many the most beautiful. Notice particularly 
the Rose Gardens on the left w^hich have a foreign 
atmosphere. These are laid out in a very attractive 
manner and at certain seasons of the 3^ear are beau- 

24 



tiful beyond description. In the Rose Garden are 
four bronze statutes by Leonard Crunelle. A statue 
of Alexander Von Humboldt, from which the park 
takes its name, is in the center of the driveway; 
and to the risjjht is the band stand, with seats in the 
amphitheatre for thousands of people. On the left 
are the famous lily ponds. In this park are the 
hatcheries that furnish fish to all of the parks. 
Just beyond the rustic stone bridge over the lagoon, 
observe the deep woods on both sides of the road. 
You will imagine you are miles away from civili- 
zation until you approach the open square where is 
located the equestrian statue of Kosciuszkoj the 
Polish patriot. 

Leaving the park by Humboldt Boulevard, we 




^.-;aEec?^-»'* 



■ «iftti!*-aj ■iiri* ■■■• " 






Statue of Koscioszko — Humboldt Park 

25 



pass under the tracks of the Metropolitan Elevated 
and go north to Palmer Place, then on to Logan 
Square where we turn east on Logan Boulevard. 
This joirs Diversey Boulevard which continues east 
to Lincoln Park. After passing the north branch 
of the Chicago River and going several blocks we 
come to the works of the Steivart-lVarner Speedom- 
eter Co., on the left. 

We are now passing through a distinctively for- 
eign section of the city on our way to Lincoln Park. 

On the right at the entrance to Lincoln Park is 
the home of Mrs. Lehman, owner of the "Fair" de- 
partment store. Turning to the left and north, via 
Sheridan Road, we will visit the new portion of 
Lincoln Park, recently reclaimed from the lake. In 
the apartment buildmg to the left of the entrance 
of the park, resides present Mayor William Hale 
Thofnpson and former Mayor Carter H. Harrison. 
In the Park, the sandy beach beyond the lagoon is 
a landing place for aeroplanes. The sand of which 
all of this section of the Park was made, has been 
taken from the lake by means of huge sand suckers. 
On the right we pass the homes of Arthur Meeker 
and /. Ogden Armour. On the left in the lagoon 
is the three masted schooner serving as the club 
house for the owners of motor boats. Ahead is the 
free bathing beach w^here thousands of people in the 
summer months enjoy a dip in Lake Michigan. 
There are accommodations for 12,000 bathers. 

We are entering the old portion of the Park. We 
pass the children's bath houses and beach and the 
Daily News Fresh Air Sanitarium for sick babies. 

26 




Schooner Club House 

Past the viaduct is the landing where steamers dock 
for the loop. On the right, the lagoon where the 
oarsmen hold their regettas, and the motor boat 
lagoon, with accommodations for 300 laimches. 
Looking ahead across the water from here you can 
see the ISleic Municipal Pier, being built by the city 
to take care of the growing lake traffic. 

Turning north again, we pass on the left, the 
Grant Monument. Other monuments to be seen 
along this drive are those of Franklin, Linne, 
Goethe, Schiller and Beethoven. 

As we turn south again, we pass, on the right. 
Grandmother s Floiver Garden, in which nothing 
but old fashioned flowers are planted. 

27 




ilto'iSlfflllWutr^^'Jiaiirsriit^TiJ^ltfninHlHHIfflnffiiftrtlU^ 



High Bridge— Lincoln Park with Viaduct over Drive 

Through the trees to the left are the Zoological 
Buildings, housing more than two thousand speci- 
mens. The animals are fed at 4 P. M., every day, 
affording school children a convenient time for visit- 




A 



Municipal Pier 

28 




Grant Monument — Lincoln Park 



ing the Zoo. Nearly every variety of animal (in- 
cluding, by the way, cows, goats, sheep and other 
domestic animals which city bred children do not 
often see) is found in the Zoo. 

At the turn, w^e pass St. Gauden's statue of 
Lincoln, which is generally considered the sculptor's 
masterpiece and the best likeness in existence of our 
martyred President. 

Leaving the park we go south on the Lake Shore 
Drive where many of our most prominent and 
wealthy citizens reside. The names and numbers 
of the houses they occupy will give some idea of the 
character of this neighborhood : 

1550, Richard T. Crane, of the great Crane Co. 

1515, Edward T. Blair, a street car magnate. 

29 




Lake Shore Drive 



1500, Victor F. Lawson, publisher of The Chi- 
cago Daily News. 

-The rough grey stone building at 1450 is the 
home of LaVerne W. Noyes, a noted philanthropist. 

1434, Lawrence Heyworth, a banker. 

The house covered with vines at 1430 is the home 
of James Deering. 

1420, Archibald E. Freer, a capitalist. 

1400, Franklin MacVeagh, former Secretary of 
the Treasury. 

1334, built after the style of an English Castle, 
is the home of Mrs. Potter Palmer. 

1258, Hugh J. McBirney, a wealthy lawyer. 

1250, Geo. B. Haris, President Burlington R. R. 

1240, Moses J. Wentworth, a telephone magnate. 

1234, Chas. A. Munroe, a capitalist. 

30 



1138, Chas. H. Hurlbut, President of the Elgin 
Watch Co. 

The light stone building, with lawn, at 1000, is 
the home of Harold McCormick, of the Harvester 
Company. Mrs. McCormick is the daughter of 
John D. Rockefeller. 

The apartment houses you see here are among the 
most elaborate in Chicago and rent for a thousand 
dollars a month or more. Some of them have ac- 
commodations for their guests' autos on the top 
floor. The property to the left was originally known 
as Streeter-ville, Captain Streeter's boat having been 
wrecked and tossed up on this beach. The lake 
washed in sand, making a large area of valuable 
ground and Captain Streeter claimed ''squatters' 




is^^0jg0l!V*" 



:;<£&XiwAiMA^afe- 



Residence Mrs. Potter Palmer 
31 



rights" to the property. The title is still in litiga- 
tion. 

It will interest you to note that a Chicago Archi- 
tect has built hin^self a house on top of one of the 
large apartment buildings to the left, on the shore o-f 
the lake. 

The large white stone building on the right is the 
Fourth Presbyterian Church. 

The Chicago Water Works was the north limit 
to the great Chicago Fire in 1871 when one-third 
of the people in the city were rendered homeless, and 
over two hundred million dollars worth of prop- 
erty destroyed. 

Passing sonth on Lincoln Parkway we pass within 
one block of Medinah Temple, the building ahead 




Water Works 

32 




Medinah Temple 



with the Moorish dome. This is one of the finest 
huildings of the kind in the United States. 

After passing the Firginw and Alexandria hotels 
we approach Rush Street Bridge which spans the 
main hranch of the Chicago River. Experts declare 
this the busiest bridge in the world, the traffic 
even exceeding that of London Bridge. Boats leaving 
for Milwaukee, Duluth, Macki-^ac, Det^rit, Cleve- 
land, Buffalo and all points on the Great Lakes, 
dock near this bridge. 

Just bc3'ond the bridge notice the store tablet in 
the wall of the building. This is the site of Fort 
Dearborn, established in 1803, and consisting of a 
stockade and block-houses as protection against the 
Indians, 

The street to the right here leads into the famous 

33 




South Water Street 



South Water Street, through which passes the food- 
stuffs of the entire city. This is said to be the 
busiest street in the world. An average of a million 
and a half of eggs are alwaj^s on storage here. 
Nearly three million cases of eggs are handled 
yearly, together with twenty million dollars worth 
of butter, one million barrels of apples, seven mil- 
lion boxes of oranges, seven million bushels of po- 
tatoes and one hundred and fifty-one million ban- 
anas. 

One of the things of interest to visitors is the 
freight tunnel that runs beneath the ground here, 
and connects the big w^holesale houses with the rail- 
road and boat terminals. 

Tunnels extend all over the business district 
about 45 feet below the surface. The Chicago 

34 



Tunnel Company operate the system electrically 
and require 60 miles of track and 3,000 cars to 
handle the underpjround traffic. 

Most of the hotels and large commercial houses 
have sub-basements connecting with the tunnel and 
use it to transport coal, ashes, freight, merchandise, 
etc. Thousands of trucks and wagons are thus 
dispensed w^ith on the busy streets, and traffic con- 
gestion reduced in the Loop district. 

Passing through the wholesale Tea, CofiFee and 
Spice sections, w^here the street will soon be widened 
and boulevarded, we approach the Public Library. 
At the North end of Grant Park, opposite the 
present library, in 1860 was located the Republican 
w^igw^am, in which Lincoln was nominated for the 
Presidency. The building was afterwards used for 
Exposition purposes, but was torn down many years 
ago. The buildings on the right are some of the 
finest structures in Chicago. Among them are: 

The New^ Michigan Boulevard Building. 

The TowTr Building, formerly the home of 
Montgomery, Ward & Co. 

The Chicago Athletic Association. 

The University Club. 

The Monroe Building. 

The Illinois Athletic Club. 

The Peoples Gas Building, with the massive col- 
umns. 

The Art Institute on the left. 

The Pullman Building. 

35 




Art Institute — Grant Park 

Orchestra Hall, made famous by Theodore 
Thomas. 

The Railway Exchange. 

The Stratford Hotel. 

The McCorniick Building. 

This brings us back to where we started and we 
are sure you will agree that Chicago has a most 
wonderful system of parks and boulevards. 




LIBRARY OF CONGRESS 




014 495 789 1 4jp